Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The things we do for our children...



Crazy Sock Day!

Add it up-

$5
1 hour
4 Socks
2 very happy little girls!

At 9PM tonight, as we pulled out of the Rec Center Parking Lot, my girls reminded me they have "Crazy Sock Day" at school tomorrow. Needless to say, our options were few. We stopped at Walmart grabbed a few things and they went to bed while I went to work. Eden wanted some kind of animal, while Emersyn wanted something girly. Beggars can't be choosers. "Don't rush a miracle man, you'll get rotten miracles!" When you give me a few hours, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for crazy socks in less than an hour.

Eden's bird socks...

What you will need:
1 pair of knee high socks:
Feathers in assorted colors
2 shower scrubbies
Rhinestones or any other embellishments
Large google eyes or other eyes
Wire or a needle and thread
A glue gun

Grab any pair of knee-high socks. I started with a solid print thinking the feathers might be too busy, but I quicked changed and liked the printed pattern better. It was "cray-cray" as my girls like to say. Take a bottle of water and slide the sock over it. This will give you the best structure to work on. I also used a glass and that worked just as well.

Next you will need two small shower scrubbies.  You could also pom poms, or anything you can attach to the sock as the body.  The scrubby was easy, and is was sturdy enough to hold the feathers.  I used a small piece of wire to attach it to the sock.  You could also take the time to sew it to the sock if you are worried about wire being rough against the skin.  Hot glue would also work.  The wire is easy to remove if your child isn't sure about wanting to ruin the sock.

Mine didn't get a choice.  Again, beggars can't be choosers.

 
 Make sure the scrubby is securely attached to the sock so it won't flop around.  I used a piece of wire at the top and the bottom to make sure it was tight.  Take your feathers and glue any embellishments you would like to use onto the feathers. I used rhinestones.  She wanted sparkly.
Fan the feathers into some kind of arrangement.  You could do a pattern, but I tend to stay away from 1,2,3...1,2,3 only because I prefer a less symmetric look.  It is a matter of preference.  When you have the feathers arranged, start inserting them into the scrubby.  If you have decent feathers, they should be firm enough to slide right down into the scrubby.  If yours are more flimsy, use you glue gun and secure them where you think they look best.  You may find it easier to attach feathers first before attaching scrubby to the sock.  Again, matter of preference.
Next, you will need some eyes. I made mine out of paper because Walmart was out of the extra large googly eyes, and the small ones looked ridiculous. Again, completely up to you. You will also want to add a beak. I used an orange feather.

Here I added more rhinestones because I thought it needed a little more bling.  You could add as much or as little as you would like.


Emersyn's girlie socks...
You can find these glitter stakes at Walmart in the Easter section.  They come in a set of 3 for .97 cents.  I grabbed a couple different sets to play with.  All you need to do is remove the lawn stake from each of them.

Slip your socks over something so you can work with them.  I used a large water bottle, but glasses also work quite well.

Take your glitter cut outs and using scissors, cut them in half.

Use your glue gun and secure them to the socks.  You will want to be careful not to turn them the wrong way because they won't match up.  They are printed on both sides, so it is easy to get them turned the opposite direction.

They thought these were pretty neat because when she stood with her feet together, it came together.  It's the little things.  They took me all of ten minutes.

It doesn't have to be hard.  It just takes a little bit of thought! And you don't even have to do that now because I've done it for you!  

Why reinvent the wheel?

Happy Socking!

No comments:

Post a Comment