Friday, March 21, 2014

The worth of a teacher!








A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove.  But, the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.
-Forest Witcraft








My kids have the most amazing school teachers on the planet.  I don’t know how I got so lucky.  I am astounded by the love these people show my children.  Mind you, love is not in their job description.  They are not required to like children, or to take a vested interest in them as people.  Yet, they still do. 


Cooper isn’t my best student.  He does fine, but let’s just say he doesn’t love the idea of being at school, behind a desk all day.  His idea of a nice vacation does not include books.  He is a mover and a shaker.  You will always find him in the middle of whatever is going on.  He will befriend anybody that will have him.  School hasn’t always been his idea of fun. .  He is a lot like me.  Yesterday is old news, and tomorrow is a day away.  For good or for bad, he lives in the moment. He always has.
  


Luckily, he has had some really good teachers that have helped him in his journey.  He looks forward to class.  He is in fourth grade.  If his teacher was on Facebook, I would publicly lavish her with praise.  I can’t express how much it means to me that she loves my son. And make no mistake, she does love him.  How crazy is that? She isn’t just his teacher. He is not just a student to her.  He is her friend.  And as a mother, she will never know what that means to me because she gives him things I cannot.   Like, confidence. 

She made him a special folder.  He is a big BYU fan (thanks to his cousin, Sage) and much to his family’s dismay.  But, that’s Cooper.  He doesn’t have a care in the world what the rest of us do.  If it isn’t for him, he doesn’t do it.  He is simply happy with himself and his choices.  It is a quality I wish all my children possessed.  She made him this folder today.  Yes, it is simple.  It is not a grand investment, and I assume it didn’t take hours to complete.   That said, it was a gift I will never forget.  It was a deliberate effort on her part to do something she did not have to do for a 9 year old boy because she cared.  She has clearly taken the time to learn he loves BYU.  I am certain she did so outside of school hours.  Surely, she was not paid for her time, and something never expected of her.  Yet, here it is. 






Cooper has carried that folder with him all night long.  He hasn’t let it out of his sight.  I have heard him tell no less than seven people tonight that his teacher made this folder just for him.  Not everybody. Nope. Just for him.  He took clear packing tape and covered it so it would be “laminated” and protected from any harm.  To see him so genuinely happy over something somebody else did for him is humbling, to say the least.  You see, as his mother, I could have made him that folder and it would not have had nearly the impact on him.  Moms have to do those things.  It is kind of a given, a mom requirement.  Not  teachers.  Believe me, he knew the difference.    It did not go unnoticed.  He knew somebody thought he was special.  When somebody takes an interest in us that doesn’t have toit matters.  It mattered to a 9 year old boy. 

There simply are not words to convey the appreciation I have for those teachers, and others that give to my children what I cannot.   Thank you. Thank you for all that you have done, and all you will continue to do for them. 

I am so fortunate. My children are so blessed.  And,  I am one grateful mother.




1 comment: